Contact, Directions, Maps
- General Inquiries:
- MaryAnn Phillips (Department Coordinator)
- Undergraduate Program Inquiries:
- Graduate Program Inquiries:
- Observatory/Open House Inquiries:
- Elizabeth Warner (Observatory Director)
- Mailing Address:
- Department of Astronomy
Physical Sciences Complex (415) Room 1113
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-2421
- Main Office Phone:
- (301) 405-3001
- Department Fax:
- (301) 314-9067
Directions to the Astronomy Department
The Astronomy Department is located on the College Park campus of the University of Maryland, in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Most of the department is housed on the first floor of the Physics Sciences Complex and on the first floor and ground level of the adjoining Atlantic Building (formerly Computer & Space Sciences Bldg.), across from Parking Lot B/RR/5 (Regents Dr. Garage).
Coming by car:
- Take exit 27 or 25 from I95/I495 (Washington Beltway) south onto US Rt. 1 towards College Park.
- Go for about 2 miles, turn right onto Campus Drive.
- Turn right at the circle (marked with a big "M") onto Regents Drive.
- Turn left at the first stop sign onto Stadium Drive.
- Turn left into Regents Drive Garage (Parking lot B/RR/5).
- Turn left for the visitor parking spaces. Park, then register at the digital paystation. Other spaces in the garage are free after 4pm and during weekends.
- Return on foot to Stadium Drive and cross it to reach the Physical Sciences Complex or the adjoining Atlantic Building.
Coming by Metro:
- Take the Green Line to the College Park station. (The city's transit agency has a TripPlanner tool that may be useful.)
- As you exit the station, go up the stairs to the left.
- Take the free UMd Shuttle (#104) on a 5-10 minute ride west to campus.
- Get off at the Regents Drive Garage (bottom center in the map below, marked with a 'P').
- Walk north to the Physical Sciences Complex or the adjoining Atlantic Building.
Below is a map of the area on campus around the Astronomy Department. The Astronomy main office is in Rm. 1208 of the Physical Sciences Complex (red highlight and green marker). Department member offices are on the first floor of PSC, and also in Wing 2 (green highlight), Wing 1 (violet highlight), and Wing 3 (yellow highlight) of the Computer and Space Sciences building. Department colloquia and some other events are held on the second floor of Wing 4 (blue highlight) in CSS Room 2400. Two nearby parking locations are indicated. Click on any place marker to get more information or driving directions to that place.
Parking for visitors is available in the Regents Drive Garage (numbered spaces only) and the Paint Branch Visitor Lot. (See map above or PDF map of all campus visitor parking.) The Physical Sciences Complex and the Computer and Space Sciences building are across the street to the north of the garage, and a 5-10 minute walk away from the Paint Branch Lot.
There are paystations in these lots which can accept cash, credit cards, or department validation codes. Parking in non-visitor spaces in the garage is free after 4 pm and on weekends.
More information is available from the Department of Transportation Services.
The UM Observatory is located adjacent to the College Park campus, on Metzerott Road. To get to the Observatory, follow these directions.
If you are a department member who is hosting a visitor, see our hosting visitors page.