Vice Presidents and personnel directors of the one hundred largest
corporations were asked to describe their most unusual experience interviewing
The employers were also asked to list the "most unusual" questions that have
been asked by job candidates.
- A job applicant challenged the interviewer to an arm wrestle.
- Interviewee wore a Walkman, explaining that she could listen to the
interviewer and the music at the same time.
- Candidate fell and broke arm during interview.
- Candidate announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger
and french fies in the interviewers office.
- Candidate explained that her long-term goals was to replace the
- Candidate said he never finished high school because he was kidnapped and
kept in a closet in Mexico.
- Balding Candidate excused himself and returned to the office a few minutes
later wearing a headpiece.
- Applicant said if he was hired he would demonstrate his loyalty by having
the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.
- Applicant interrupted interview to phone her therapist for advice on how
to answer specific interview questions.
- Candidate brought large dog to interview.
- Applicant refused to sit down and insisted on being interviewed standing
- Candidate dozed off during interview.
Also included are a number of unusual statement made by candidates during the
- "What is it that you people do at this company?"
- "What is the company motto?"
- "Why aren't you in a more interesting business?"
- "What are the zodiac signs of all the board members?"
- "Why do you want references?"
- "Do I have to dress for the next interview?"
- "I know this is off the subject, but will you marry me?"
- "Will the company move my rock collection from California to Maryland?"
- "Will the company pay to relocate my horse?"
- "Does your health insurance cover pets?"
- "Would it be a problem if I'm angry most of the time?"
- "Does your company have a policy regarding concealed weapons?"
- "Do you think the company would be willing to lower my pay?"
- "Why am I here?"
- I have no difficulty in starting or holding my bowel movement.
- At times I have the strong urge to do something harmful or shocking.
- I feel uneasy indoors.
- Sometimes I feel like smashing things.
- Women should not be allowed to drink in cocktail bars.
- I think that Lincoln was greater than Washington.
- I get excited very easily.
- Once a week, I usually feel hot all over.
- I am fascinated by fire.
- I like tall women.
- Whenever a man is with a woman he is usually thinking about sex.
- People are always watching me.
- If I get too much change in a store, I always give it back.
- Almost everyone is guilty of bad sexual conduct.
- I must admit that I am a pretty fair talker.
- I never get hungry.
- I know who is responsible for most of my troubles
- If the pay was right, I'd travel with the carnival.
- I would have been more successful if nobody would have snitched on me.
- My legs are really hairy.
- I think I'm going to throw-up.