My trip to Taiwan, 7-19 March 2005
Short picture descriptions, starting from upper left. Click on a picture
to get a larger image.
You can also watch and hear some
chinese opera music being performed.
I took this movie in the gardens near the Chiang Kai-Shek memorial museum.
- Scooters are everywhere...
- ESPN announcement for a broadcast of an NBA game.
- Near the entrance to the astrophysics facilities. This is a beautiful
and modern campus.
- A familiar product in an unfamiliar guise!
- Night basketball on campus.
- A stream and woods on campus.
- A rice paddy, shot out the window of the train on the way to Taroko.
- River in Taroko National Park.
- Rapids in the river.
- Marble is everywhere in the park, and here we see several stripes.
- Chocolate milk-like flow caused by the rain.
- Calligraphy of "nine turns of the dragon's tail" in Taroko.
- A still area of the river, showing impressive clarity.
- Rock formations showing differential uplift produced by tectonic
- More differential uplift, displayed by marble striping.
- The Chiang Kai-Shek memorial museum, a nice place to visit...
- ...but only if you wear appropriate clothing!
- A nice reflection in a pool in the gardens near the CKS memorial.
- Some students choreograph their dance moves to hip-hop music.
- And some others practice defending themselves.
- Aquatic bird in the CKS memorial gardens.
- A nice heron-like bird, also in the gardens.
- Photo at a dim sum restuarant apparently considered one of the best
in the world by the New York Times. From left: Peter Meszaros, Henk Spruit,
Rosa Taam, weird-looking dude, Ron Taam. Picture taken by Debra Meszaros.
- Taipei 101, the tallest building in the world.
- Maybe I will come again!
- Entrance to the Theoretical Institute for Advanced Research in
Astrophysics, a great place to visit.