ASTR 220 - Collisions in Space
Homework 3 (12 points)
Due Thursday November 4 at the beginning of class
- Describe what will happen to the Earth as the Sun evolves into a
red giant star.
- How does the evolution of a massive star (20 solar masses) differ
from the evolution of our Sun? Describe and account for the
- Astronomers believe that they have detected several good black
hole candidates. How can this be possible if black holes emit no
- Given the following information for a star answer each question and
give reasons behind your answers:
- a) The peak wavelength of the spectrum of a star is
found to occur at 1,000 nanometers. What is the star's
- b) A star is found that has a spectrum nearly identical to the Sun
(same spectral features and line strengths). Give 2 properties
of this star.
- c) Given the spectra below, what would you conclude
about the motion of the bottom star relative to that
of the top star?