ASTR 620: Galaxies
* See this link
for a long but hardly exhaustive list
of possible topics. Please let me know your choice
of topic ahead of time. Note that the class presentation will occur in early
October, so you need to choose and prepare a topic early.
- Four problem sets.
- Term paper, not to exceed 10 pages in length
(including references & figures).
- Mid-term and Final Exams.
- Short talk (5 minute AAS-style presentation to class).
- Group Discussions.
- Grading and tentative due dates:
- 20% Problem Sets 9/26, 10/22, 11/21, 12/5
- 20% Term paper 12/10*
- 20% Mid-term exam 11/5**
- 20% Final exam 12/15 (a Saturday, at 10:30AM. We'll see about that...)
- 10% Oral presentation 10/1, 10/3* (pending class size)
- 10% Class Participation -
discussion papers on various dates***
** Due to the disruptions of the beginning of the
semester, the midterm will be rescheduled for 11/5.
*** We will occassionaly choose relevant journal
articles which we will discuss as a group, led by select pairs of students.
Part of lecture will be set aside for this, tentatively on Wednesdays
9/12, 9/19, 10/10, 10/29, 11/7, 11/21, 11/28.
Return to ASTR 620 Home Page