Linux on the Dell Inspiron 3500
This page was last modified on
- Unit baught March 10, 1999 ($2500 w/ educational discount,
plus some extras, but minus the internal WINMODEM :-)
- RedHat 5.2 installed without a snag, FIPS20 was used to
split the 4G disk. Some nice features:
- external PS2 mouse is hot insertable
- FD on parallel port is insertable with a suspend
(Dell recommends a power-down though)
- APM installed by recompiling the kernel,
- PCMCIA does not work if you warm-boot from Windows98, but
works fine accross a suspend.
- I kept hitting the Fn-(A?) button, accidentally of course,
which puts the machine into suspend-to-disk mode. nice to
know it works under linux, but a bit distracting at times.
I believe emacs users might be more prone to this than
- Sound: unknown at this point
- Other people have also written about this unit
(you should be able to find their links on the
Linux Laptop Page too.