It can sometimes take months on a new machine before you run into
a problem you've not seen before, partially because one doesn't always
test out each and every individual component of the system.
In addition, I am running Fedora Core 4, and constantly updating
the system. So that doesn't help pin pointing when the problem
- websites like slashdot, newsforge, cnn, intellicast would just hang
my browser. I would have to kill it to get back to browsing.
- simple websites work fine. after some experimenting it turned out
the existence of a flashplayer plugin would hang the browser.
- this URL:
turned out to be a good test URL to hang my browser.
- removed the flashplayer (of course) solved the problem
- updating to a slightly newer version (flashplayer 7)
did not solve the problem
- xmms would also hang at this time -> soundcard problems?
- gaim would also show many many spawned/cloned instances. also,
gaim would not reliably beep me anymore, which it normally does. More
indications it was the soundcard.
- i would also use skype, which may lock the soundcard in odd ways.
Also i had noticed that the microphhone would not work after a suspend,
but this time i was working on a rebooted system, so recording worked.
This page was last modified on