This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with
Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Reprinted
in the Memorial University campus paper. Enjoy.
Actual radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations, 10-10-95.
- Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.
- Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a
- This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert your
- No. I say again, you divert your course.
- This is the aircraft carrier USS Missouri, we are a large warship of
the US Navy. Divert your course now!
- This is a lighthouse. Your call.