some MIRIAD history
- 1987: initial development (Bob Sault), partially based on the package Sault wrote for his thesis - Miriad V1.x
- 1990: Mark Stupar overhauls the directory structure - Miriad V2.x
- 1990: A: Bob Sault moves to ATNF, and changes directory structure back;
this "A"-version is now distributed independantly.
- oct 1995: B: Illinois "flat tree" RCS archive implemented (Doug Roberts)
- 1997: mini-C version of the MIRIAD library used in AIPS++
- xxx 2000: B: Doug Roberts leaves UIUC, archive running on autopilot
- mar 2001: B: CVS archive in Maryland implemented (Peter Teuben) -
- summer 2002: B: initial support for dataset sizes > 2GB to prepare for
- spring 2003: with the official birth of the CARMA consortium, and the
release of Miriad V4.x, this is now also dubbed the
(version 4.0.2 and above)
- january 2004: last release of MIRIAD3.
- january 2005: revival of the ATNF/MIRIAD, large file sizes etc.
Lots of ATNF code merged into the CARMA/MIRIAD release
- spring 2005: SMA gearing up to use MIRIAD4 in production
- fall 2005: CARMA beginning to use MIRIAD
- summer 2006: MIRIAD5 (CVS branchname: MIR5) started as merge of ATNF and CARMA versions
- fall 2006: ATNF decides to keep their own RCS version of MIRIAD