Open House Schedule Spring 2005
The Department of Astronomy at the University of Maryland, College Park hosts Open Houses at the UMD Observatory on the 5th and the 20th of every month. On Open House evenings a guest speaker will give approximately a half hour talk about a topic in astronomy. The talk is followed by viewing of celestial objects through the observatory's telescopes, weather permitting. If weather does not permit viewing, the talk will still go on as scheduled.
(download a copy of the Spring 2005 Speaker schedule)
- Wednesday, January 5, 8:00 pm
Kelly Fast on "Huygens at Titan: Look out below!!!"
- Thursday, January 20, 8:00 pm
Dr. Lee Mundy on "The Formation of Planets"
- Saturday, February 5, 8:00 pm
Dr. Cole Miller on "Monsters in the Middle: the Effect of Black Holes on Galaxies and Clusters"
- Sunday, February 20, 8:00 pm
Barbara Mattson on "X-Ray Astronomy and the Constellation-X Mission"
- Saturday, March 5, 8:00 pm
Elizabeth Warner on "Observing Tempel 1"
- Sunday, March 20, 8:00 pm
Dr. Rosemary Killen on "Mercury and the Missions Messenger and BepiColombo"
- Tuesday, April 5, 8:00 pm
Dr. Mike A'Hearn on "Deep Impact"
- Wednesday, April 20, 8:00 pm
Dr. Andrew Baker on "Dust You Can't Sweep Under the Rug"
* tentative for 5 Mar or 5 Apr