Open House Schedule Fall 2005
The Department of Astronomy at the University of Maryland, College Park hosts Open Houses at the UMD Observatory on the 5th and the 20th of every month. On Open House evenings a guest speaker will give approximately a half hour talk about a topic in astronomy. The talk is followed by viewing of celestial objects through the observatory's telescopes, weather permitting. If weather does not permit viewing, the talk will still go on as scheduled.
(download a copy of the Fall 2005 Speaker schedule)
- Monday, September 5, 9:00 pm
Dr. Cole Miller on "Juggling Black Holes"
- Tuesday, September 20, 9:00 pm
Dr. Massimo Ricotti on "Cosmology"
- Wednesday, October 5, 9:00 pm
Elizabeth Warner on "Telescope Basics"
- Thursday, October 20, 9:00 pm
Dr. Andrew Baker on "How Old is the Universe?"
- Saturday, November 5, 8:00 pm
Dr. Ed Shaya on "The Future Planet Finders"
- Sunday, November 20, 8:00 pm
Barbara Mattson on "Dark Energy: A Modern Science Mystery"
- Monday, December 5, 8:00 pm
Dr. Stacy McGaugh on "A few results from the Maryland-Kitt Peak collaboration"
- Tuesday, December 20, 8:00 pm
Dr. Lucy McFadden on "Deep Impact Results"