This page lists the prizes that are judged and awarded within the department. Click on the links for more information about the awards and the past winners. (See also our External Prize List.)
- Dr. John Chi-Lin Wang Award for Academic Excellence - Awarded each fall to a third-year graduate student.
- Andrew S. Wilson Prize for Excellence in Research - Awarded each fall to a graduate student nearing completion of the Ph.D. dissertation.
- Philip E. Angerhofer Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award - Awarded each fall to a student who TA'ed during the preceding year.
- Gregor and Donat Wentzel Scholarship - Awarded to help recruit and retain outstanding students.
- Departmental Alumnus of the Year Award - Awarded each year; all alumni (B.S., M.S., Ph.D.) as well as former postdocs are eligible.
Awards in the following categories are open to nominations from any department member at any time during the year.
Research and Teaching Faculty Awards
- Postdoctoral Scientist Prize for Excellence - Awarded each year; includes traditional 2-3 year postdocs as well as postdocs on fellowships (Hubble, Einstein, CTC, etc.)
- Early Career Research Scientist Prize for Excellence - Awarded each year to an Assistant Research Scientist/Professor/Engineer.
- Distinguished Research Scientist Prize - Awarded each year to an Associate or Senior Research Scientist/Professor/Engineer.
- Distinguished Faculty Teaching Prize - Awarded each year; all faculty ranks are eligible.
- Administrative Professional Staff Prize for Excellence - Awarded each year to a staff member working in academic, business, or facility administration.
- Technical Professional Staff Prize for Excellence - Awarded each year to a staff member working in IT support, observatory support (CARMA, the UMD Observatory, etc.), NASA mission support/engineering, etc.
- Prize for Excellence in Mentoring - Awarded each year; all members of the department are eligible.