Undergraduate Fellowships and Awards
This page has information about university and external awards of interest to department undergraduate students, listed in order of deadlines. There is a list at the end of previous winners. We will endeavor to keep this page up to date, but updates are welcome and can be sent to the department webmaster.
Other award listings of possible interest are maintained by the American Astronomical Society (AAS), by the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences (CMNS), and by the University of Maryland (both UMD scholarships and national scholarships). You may also be interested in our webpage for research and internship opportunities.
- APS/AAAS Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program
For college seniors, grad students, and 1st-yr postdocs (any citizenship). 10 week summer session working as a reporter, researcher, and/or production assistant in mass media organizations nationwide. Stipend c. $4.5k + travel. Deadline mid-Jan. (e.g. 1/15/17).
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Scholars Programs
For undergrads and grad students (U.S. citizens). 8-12 week summer internships at Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Sample topics include solar flares, instrumentation, and tracking/identification of satellites. Stipend $450-650/wk. Deadline late Jan. to early Feb. (e.g. 1/17/17).
- Astrobiology Science Conference (AbSciCon) Student Travel Grant (search for 'abscicon')
Travel grants for undergrads and grad students (U.S. citizen or perm. resident) to attend the annual AbSciCon meeting. Partially covers registration, travel, lodging, & meals. Deadline mid-Jan. (e.g. 1/18/17).
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (CSGF)
For college seniors and 1st year grad students; U.S. citizen or perm. resident; science/engineering research using high-performance computation. Includes 12-week practicum at a DOE lab. Four years, $36k annual stipend plus tuition and an annual allowance for research expenses. Deadline mid Jan. (e.g. 1/18/17).
- Goldwater Scholarship
Very selective national award for sophomores & juniors in STEM fields who are planning research careers; U.S. citizen or perm. resident. 1-2 years at up to $7500/yr. Due late Jan. (e.g. 1/29/16).
- Walraven Scholarship for MSc Students in Astronomy & Instrumentation
For international (non-Dutch) MSc students, students who have a BSc degree (or equivalent) in astronomy or physics and wish to obtain their MSc in Astronomy, specializing in instrumentation at Leiden University. One year, 11,000EUR ($14,838.34) per year for living costs, possible partial scholarship. Deadline early Feb. to early Mar. (e.g. 2/1/17).
- NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF)
For college seniors and grad students; preference to U.S. citizens or perm. residents in case of tie. Three years, $35k stipend plus up to $10k toward tuition, fees, insurance, travel, and other expenses (2016). If information is not yet available at the above link (search for 'NESSF'), try the links on the page under 'View Solicitations'. Deadline early Feb. (e.g. 2/1/17).
- Adele's Circle of Women
For students who advance the role of women and girls in their academic studies, extracurricular activities, and/or hope to do such in their professional lives. For current Full-Time UMD students. 5 students will receive a $250 award. Deadline early Feb. (e.g. 2/2/16).
- CMNS Undergraduate Summer Research, Travel, and Educational Enrichment Award
For CMNS majors who will be returning next fall to defray costs related to conducting research, traveling to field courses or conferences, or other summer activities that enhance or expand the student’s educational and professional development. Several awards granted, up to $2k (2016). Deadline mid-Jan. to early Feb. (e.g. 2/4/16).
- Maryland Summer Scholars
University scholarship for ~30 undergrads (rising juniors/seniors) to do summer research. $3k award (2017). Deadline early Feb. (e.g. 2/8/17).
- Library Award for Undergraduate Research
University Libraries' $1000 award given for a paper or project completed the previous year with sophisticated use of information resources and library services. Up to 3 awards given, deadline mid-Feb to mid-Mar. (e.g. 2/15/16).
- UMD Phillip Merrill Presidential Scholars
Award honoring the University of Maryland’s most successful seniors. No application - nominations are made by the departments/colleges. Contact your undergraduate adviser for more information. Nominations typically made in late Feb.
- Maryland Senatorial Scholarship
For undergrads and grad students; Maryland state residents only. Award up to $11,250 per year for up to four years (2017). Deadline early Mar. (e.g. 3/1/17).
- AAS Division on Dynamical Astronomy Raynor L. Duncombe Prize for Student Research
For undergrads and grad students doing research in the area of dynamical astronomy who wish to attend and present at the annual AAS/DDA meeting. (Formerly called the DDA Student Stipend Award.) $600 award plus waiver of registration fees (2017). Up to 3 awards given, deadline Feb.-Mar. (e.g. 3/3/17).
- Sigma Xi's Grants-in-Aid of Research Program
For undergrads and grad students; any citizenship; membership in Sigma Xi helpful. Award up to $5k per year for the purchase of non-standard equipment, travel to a research site, and institutional equipment use fees (2015). Deadline annually mid-Mar. (e.g. 3/15/16) and mid-Oct. (e.g. 10/15/16).
- Undergraduate Researcher of the Year Award
$1000 award from UMD's Maryland Center for Undergraduate Research, given to up to 6 UMD undergrads for distinguishment in research. Nominations from faculty due by late Mar./early Apr. (e.g. 3/23/16).
- Dorfman Prize for Undergraduate Research
$1000 CMNS award given for research projects. Project does not need to be completed at time of application. Deadline annually late Mar. (e.g. 3/30/16).
- Noyce Scholarship
For UMD rising juniors and seniors interested in teaching mathematics or science. $14k a year for up to 2 years (2017). Deadline Feb.-Mar. (e.g. 3/31/17).
- Maryland Alumni Association Scholarships
Maryland Alumni Association Scholarships: $2000 (2014) to undergrads w/ 3.0 GPA, preferably who volunteer in their communities or on campus, participate in extracurricular activities and write a compelling essay on building Terrapin spirit among the student body. Deadline early May (e.g. 5/1/16).
- Maryland Space Grant Consortium Scholarship
Awarded to current (or incoming) full-time STEM majors who are U.S. citizens and are potentially interested in aerospace careers such as with NASA. Awards are typically in the $2k-$5k range and must be used for educational expenses (tuition, books, fees, and room and board). 1 year, renewable annually. Deadline mid-May (e.g. 5/15/16).
- UMD Veterans Initiative Scholarships
Support for students who are veterans of US military service. Deadline May (e.g. 5/23/16).
- USRA Scholarship Awards
The USRA Scholarship Awards provide college scholarship awards to students who have shown a career interest in science or engineering with an emphasis on space research or space science education. Up to 4 Scholarship Awards are available in amounts of $4k annually. Awards are made to rising junior and seniors. Deadline late July to mid-Aug. (e.g. 8/12/16).
- Fulbright Fellowship
For college seniors and grad students (U.S. citizens). Conduct research abroad, usually for 1 year. Includes living costs, insurance, transportation, etc. University deadline Sept.-Oct. (e.g. 9/1/16).
- AAS FAMOUS Travel Grants
For AAS members to attend a AAS meeting to present their research. Priority given to historically underrepresented groups, including minorities, non-traditional students, and veterans. Up to $1k for travel, meals, and lodging (but not registration). Deadline early Oct. (e.g. 10/7/16).
- Sigma Xi's Grants-in-Aid of Research Program
For undergrads and grad students; any citizenship; membership in Sigma Xi helpful. Award up to $5k per year for the purchase of non-standard equipment, travel to a research site, and institutional equipment use fees (2016). Deadline mid-Mar. (e.g. 3/15/15) and early-mid Oct. (e.g. 10/1/17).
- Dr. Gerald A. Soffen Memorial Fund Travel Grant
For undergrads and grad students in aerospace-related sciences or engineering fields (incl. astronomy) to attend a meeting at which they will present their research. Any citizenship. $500 awards (2016). Deadline early Apr. (e.g. 4/1/15) and mid-Oct (e.g. 10/15/15).
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
For college seniors and 1st/2nd year grad students; U.S. citizen or perm. resident. Three years, $34k stipend plus tuition (2016). Deadline late Oct.-mid Nov. (e.g. 10/28/16).
- Hertz Graduate Fellowship
For college seniors and 1st year grad students pursuing a Ph.D. in applied sciences (incl. astrophysics); U.S. citizen or perm. resident. Up to five years, $32k stipend plus tuition plus support for dependent children (2015). Deadline late Oct.-early Nov. (e.g. 10/28/16).
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
For college seniors and and 1st-2nd year grad students who are immigrants (U.S. citizen or perm. res.) or the children of immigrants. 1-2 years, $25k stipend plus 1/2 tuition & fees (2016). Deadline early Nov. (e.g. 11/1/16).
- NASA Space Technology Research Fellowship (NSTRF)
For college seniors and 1st-3rd year grad students; U.S. citizen or perm. resident. Work at a NASA Center, with a focus on space technology. Four years, total annual award up to $46k plus funds for tuition and insurance (2016). Deadline early Nov. (e.g. 11/3/16).
- GEM Fellowship Program
For minority students who are college seniors planning to enroll in grad school or 1st/2nd year grad students; U.S. citizen or perm. resident. One year, $16k stipend plus tuition, fees, and a paid summer internship (2016). Deadline mid-Nov. (e.g. 11/15/16).
- Ford Foundation Fellowship
For seniors planning to enroll in grad school, grad students, and postdocs who are committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level; U.S. citizens only. 1-3 years; $24-25k stipend (2016). Deadline mid-Nov. (e.g. 11/17/16 for predoctoral fellowship and 11/10/16 for dissertation fellowship).
- DoD Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship
For undergrads and grad students; U.S. citizens only. Up to five years, $25-38k annual stipend plus tuition, fees, books, and insurance (2016). Summer internships and post-graduation work at Department of Defense (DoD) facilities. Deadline early-mid Dec. (e.g. 12/1/16).
- Brooke Owens Fellowship Program
For undergrad women seeking a career in space exploration (or aviation); some citizenship restrictions. 10-12 week paid summer internship at an aerospace company or organization. Deadline early-mid Dec. (e.g. 12/5/16).
- DoD National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship
For college seniors and 1st/2nd year grad students; U.S. citizens only; research in fields of interest to the Department of Defense (DoD). Astronomy students are eligible and have had competitive applications. Three years, $34k annual stipend plus tuition, fees, and insurance (2016). Deadline mid-Dec. (e.g. 12/9/16).
Previous Department Winners
The following is a partial list of external and university awards which department undergraduate students have won. Please send additions to the Webmaster.
- Goldwater Scholarship - Mia Bovill (2003), Harley Katz (2012), Mark Moretto (2016).
- Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship - Lauren Woolsey (2011).
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship - Phillip Cowperthwaite (2013), Harley Katz (2013).
- AAS Chambliss Award - Steffi Yen, hon. mention (2013).
- MD Space Grant Consortium Scholarship - Lenore Koenig (2014), Patrick Tamburo (2014-15), Kyle Elliott (2015), Molly Grabill (2015-16), Emily Garhart (2016), Anjali Mittu (2016).
- USRA Scholarship Award - Emily Garhart (2016).
- NASA/Goddard Star Award for Science - Austin Kim & Lucas Tax (2016).
- UMD Philip Merrill Presidential Scholar - Alexandra Lockwood (2006), Ashley King (2009), Bryan Holler (2011), Allison Bostrom (2014).
- CMNS Dorfman Prize for Undergraduate Research - Ashley King (2008), Phillip Cowperthwaite (2013), Allison Bostrom (2014).
- CMNS Mary and Tom Snitch Undergraduate Scholarship - Lenore Koenig (2013)
- CMPS/CMNS Outstanding Undergraduate - Curran Muhlberger (2008).
- CMPS/CMNS Commencement Speaker - Curran Muhlberger (2008).
- CPS Shapiro Excellence in Undergraduate Research Award - James Keane (2008), Valerie Klavans (2009), and Steffi Yen (2011).
- UMD Honors College Research Grant - Shreya Anand (2017), Christopher Bambic (2017).