Departmental Alumnus of the Year Award
The Departmental Alumni of the Year Awards (formerly known as the Distinguished Alumni Awards) were established by the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences (CMNS) to honor outstanding CMNS alumni. Each CMNS department names one of their alumni per year to receive the honor. All alumni (B.S., M.S., Ph.D.) as well as former postdocs are eligible. The Department of Astronomy's selection is made by the Department Chair with input from the full body of professorial faculty, and the winner is announced at the CMNS Alumni Festival in the spring.
Nominations may be sent to the Department Chair anytime during the year.
- 2013/14: Charles Bennett (B.S. '78)
- 2012/13: Joseph Nuth (B.S. '75)
- 2011/12: Robert H. Becker (Ph.D. '75)
- 2010/11: Stefi A. Baum (Ph.D. '87)
- 2009/10: Kimberly A. Weaver (Ph.D. '93)
- 2008/09: Janet G. Luhmann (Ph.D. '74)
- 2007/08: R. A. Perley (Ph.D. '77)
- 2006/07: James S. Ulvestad (Ph.D. '81)
- 2005/06: Donald K. Yeomans (Ph.D. '70)
- 2004/05: David Branch (Ph.D. '69)
- 2003/04: Gillian R. Knapp (Ph.D. '72)
- 2002/03: R. Brent Tully (Ph.D. '72)
- 2001/02: R. Paul Butler (Ph.D. '92)
Information about most of these alumni may be found on the department's listing of alumni.